Vantocil - Disinfection for the food industry
Vantocil is a highly effective, fast-acting biocide for use in formulation of disinfectants for the food processing and manufacturing industries.
Vanticil has excellent activity against food pathogens, such as Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus, and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. formulations containing VANTOCIL can be used for disinfection of equipment, floors and other hard surfaces and can also be used for both open plant and clean-in-lace (CIP) applications.
Application can be either manual, by soaking or by re-circulation and must be followed by a potable water rinse. Vantocil can used as sole disinfectant active agent, or can be formulated with other commonly, available disinfectants. Depending on the final formulation, VANTOCIL is typlically used at a consentration of 0.1-0.3%
VANTOCIL is based on poly(hexamethylene biguanide) hydrochloride, also know as PHMB, which provides the following properties of direct relevance to the food industry:
- Extensive toxicity studies suggest acceptable use risk to humans.
- Approved use for more than two decades in regulated food-related applications.
- Fast acting bactericide, effective at low concentrations against Gram possitive and Gram negative vegitative bacteria. At higher concentrations effectave agains yeast.
- Highly active towards food pathogens and contaminants.
- Active against envelopment virusus and naked virusus.
- Non-specific mode of action with no known evidance of development of organism resistance.
- At typical use levels, has no smell, no tast and is non-staining.
- Water soluble; which means it is readily water rinsed so minimising rish of residues.
- Retains activity in the presence of organic matter, such as proteind, fat and blood, so proving reliable performance in the presence of remnants of food (fish, meat, poulty and vegetables) or soils after poor cleaning.
- Active in both soft and hard water.
- Effective and atable over a pH range of 1-11.
- Very low foam, making it suitable for CIP applications
- Readily formulated with non-ionic surfactants (e.g alcohol ethoxylates) abd sequesrants (e.g EDTA, NTA)
- Provides stable formulations with acids (e.g phosphoric) and alkalis (e.g KOH)
- Low corrosion, and compatible with common materials of construction at typical use levels.
- Dilutable in both cold and warm water.
- Product is temprature and pH stable.
- Readily detected in aqueous solution by use of Vantocil Test Kids
- VANTICIL can be used as the sole active agent in terminal disinfectant and sanitiser formulations. It is supplied as a 205 aqueous solution of PHMB, pH 4.0 – 4.5, and typically used as pre-cleaned solid surfaces at a concentration of 0.1 – 0.2%
- VANTOCIL can be co-formulated with other common disinfectants biocides, particularly quaternary ammonium compounds (QACs). combinations of VANTOCIL QAC provide complementary performance, offering the benefits of VANTOCIL whilst enhancing the overall activity towards fungal organisms. VANTOCIL is commonly co-formulated with QACs such as dialkyl dimethyl ammonium chloride (DDAC) and alkyk dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride (ADBAC).
- A detergent-sanitizer formulation is available containing VANTOCIL where the cleaning power is enhanced by use of non ionic (higher fatty alcohol type) surfactants.